Friday, February 1, 2008

How to make sterling silver ball and wire decorated rings...



Happy Friday....!
Here's few of my sterling silver rings I made. All of them are sold except 2nd from the top. Most of them size 7.

It's all started from a piece of sheet. I cut each sheet to about 5 mm by 5.5 cm, depending on the ring size I want to make. It's like a thin plate of sterling. Each individual plate is filed to make sure all sides are soft and straight. Next, I make sterling silver ball by cutting pieces of wire and heat it in charcoal blocks. I then decorate the ring with sterling balls and wire.

The tricky part is soldering the wire and balls to the plate. Because the plate is thicker, I have to heat the plate so the wire won't melt. I use the soldering brick and "raise" the plate a little, then heat the brick instead of the plate and let the heat reflected to the back of the plate. Then after I'm happy with the look, I form it to a ring and solder the ring, buff it, clean it and voila...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work!

Kat said...

Thank you! I've been wondering if those little silver balls were fabricated by each artist, or if they were purchased or like casting grain or something. Now I know! Thanks again!

Jen said...

Beautiful! I was wondering if you solder your wire and balls to the rind while it's still flat and then form it or form the ring first and then solder the wire to it.

Unknown said...

These are GORGEOUS!! What type of solder do you use please? wire or paste? And I'm guessing you're using fine silver rather than sterling?? I can't wait to try this, but have a feeling I'm going to end up with a mess ;-)

Unknown said...

Very pretty work! One question, did you use solder to attach the wire or did you use fine silver that wouldn't need solder? Thanks in advance for info!

bigib said...

I make my own silver balls using charcoal blocks. I then put a teeny weeny solder to attach to the ring. I hope this helps...